It's hot out there. I'm not used to this kind of heat. I do like it, but it's taking some getting used to.
I love all of the lush green. I took a walk down behind the Lubber Run amphitheater yesterday without listening to my iPod, just so that I could listen to all of the birds talking to each other. I keep wanting to take pictures, even when there's nothing particularly remarkable to photograph.
My dad is a fantastic cyclist. He bikes everywhere. He's even scoped out the bike route from Arlington to my new house. We thought we'd try out this new DC-based Capital Bikeshare thing. You pay for a membership and then you can take 30 minute bike rides from bikeshare station to station. Dad had a free 24 hour membership so what the heck, we thought we'd try it.
These bikes were clunkers, and took a little getting used to. Unfortunately, I didn't take the time to get used to mine before we hit the road, and when we hit a hill and I had to shift gears, I stalled out and...well...there's no delicate way to put this...I did a faceplant into the street. (Yes, I realize I just tripped over my own feet on Thursday. I don't know what my problem is. Too many years living in the flat terrain of the Central Valley?) I'm OK, just torqued my knee, scraped my cheek, and bruised my eye (and my ego). Just glad I wasn't squished by the Mini Cooper that was driving by when I fell.
I got back on and we finished the ride. But yesterday I wasn't keen to take any risks. So Dad and I just drove to Alexandria and scoped out the waterfront at Daingerfield and Belle Haven Marinas. Lovely day, lovely breeze, nice memories of being a kid crewing my dad's Day Sailor. Can't wait to show my kids the Potomac and the Chesapeake. Happy sigh.


Do I need to wrap you in bubble wrap? Are you okay, my friend? Let's go visit the bay together when I am home this Summer.
ReplyDeleteSuch Pretty Pictures of my home town. But NO! You evil temptress! I am a California girl, now!
I am so glad you are in the place that speaks to your heart. It makes me very happy to hear of your new adventures.
I think you hit on something there--bubble wrap! Yes! It's the only way to be sure. :-)
DeleteNo injuries since Saturday, thank goodness. Probably helps that I am being SUPER careful, and not trying to use my iPhone while doing other tasks.
I still remember windsurfing with your dad!
Delete