Here is Ella, my beautiful first grader. (Pose inspired by Ms. Maggie, 4th grader extraordinaire.)
I drove her to school the first morning, but she took the bus to and from school every other day. I was in Clovis for 2 days this week, and got a Facebook message from a high school friend in the neighborhood (Nathaniel) saying "Um, I think Ella got off at the wrong stop." Major heart attack since I couldn't reach Nigel, but I guess it all worked out--a nice lady brought her home. Thank goodness she has her address memorized.
Ella has decided to accessorize--maybe the girls in her class are more girly this year? So we are into hairbands, necklaces, and bracelets. Oh and bows on her shirts make her happy too.
Barrett's preschool doesn't start until next Monday, so he has enjoyed some one on one time, first with me (happy Dunkin Donut outing) and then with his grandma while I was away. He thrives on the undivided attention; he so rarely gets it.
I arrived home from Dulles at 6:30 on Friday morning, with hours to spare before Barrett's preschool open house. I had missed the parents' orientation so I was really happy I made it for this event, even if I was loopy from lack of sleep. Met some really really nice moms who raved about how good the teachers are at this school. They even have a Shutterfly site, so I can pictures and video of the kids. And Barrett jumped right in and started with the playdough and blocks.
I am overjoyed to be home, with no travel scheduled this week or next. I spent the day cleaning and organizing, then took the kids out for a surprise trip to the movies: Indiana Jones at the IMAX. Someone's head about exploded with joy. (Ella was excited about it too, but the movie scared her--I thought she had watched it before, but yeah no--she hadn't. And it's way scarier than I remembered. Let's hope we don't have nightmares.)
We saw it at Tyson's. May I say how much I hate Tyson's? Never again. So loud, so crowded, and so hard to navigate. We couldn't find our car at the end of the evening. Finally figured out we were in the WRONG garage. Sigh.
Gotta say it again: really glad to be home.


Uh oh. Raiders of the Lost Ark IS scary! She hadn't seen it all the way through??? How 'bout that helicopter scene? And, ummm, the face melting scene? Maggie would have had a nervous breakdown if I had shown her that movie. She almost peed herself when we took her to go see "Brave" last night (and yes, I know you told me there were scary parts. But she was practically peeing just with the stupid will-0-the-wisps! Let's not even TALK about the bear scene!)
ReplyDeleteLove all those accessories. Especially the glasses. She looks adorable in them. And I love that she is still smiling her "best smile" tee hee.
Sat and smiled through this and then let out a "tee hee" when I read the "I hate Tyson's" part. That place is nuts on the weekends. Never ever ever go at Christmas time. Ever. I go to Tyson's approx. one time a year--and if it's on a weekday, at around 11am, it's totally fine (right Natalie?).
ReplyDeleteHooray for 1st grade and for memorizing addresses and for Nathaniel Guldseth and nice ladies.
Welcome home! The weather's so nice now! I'll be emailing you soon about fall festival-ing . . .
This weather is INSANELY beautiful. Blue skies, cool, crisp--everything so bright and clear. I'm in heaven. :-)
DeleteAnd yes, on Tysons. May try a weekday at 11 am. Next YEAR.
Yay!! Sounds like Ella is settling into school. You know Mollie is still way into the hairbands. Don't know where that comes from...
ReplyDeleteI love seeing those smiley happy faces. I can't even imagine how Barrett must have reacted with the Imax- like Christmas morning, perhaps?
Hey, I read in some magazine this year that Barrett Elementary was recognized as one of the top schools for something....can't remember what now. But, I thought of us and then of your little B man! How is Ella liking school?
ReplyDeleteElla loooooooves school. She was breathless with excitement yesterday morning because it was the FIRST DAY FOR HOMEWORK. Yes, we are related.
Delete