Wednesday, August 1, 2012

this is not a driveby

The past few weeks I have had the joy of spending time with poppycharley and her beautiful children.  Eli is about the same age as Barrett, and Mollie is a little older than Ella, so it's a groovy fit.  We had a playdate at our house, including a rainy trip to the swimming pool and an impromptu slumber party.  Then on Sunday we ventured out to Clemyjontri Park, which was very hot but great fun--we all liked the carousel.  And the grassy spots in the shade.

And finally Monday night, on the spur of the moment, we met for frozen yogurt in Falls Church.  The address SAID Falls Church, but it was actually Merrifield--very industrial-looking, full of traffic and construction, and half-finished sidewalks.  Under Mr. Medhurst's direction, we buddied up and went on an adventure-walk over to the Chinese grocery store.  (Jen and I did not hold hands.) (But with all of our kids swarming around and Nigel heading up the parade, I told her I felt like I was her sister-wife.)  Highlights of our journey included: dumpster diving, an educational lecture on homelessness, a colorful trip through the produce aisle, a frightening encounter with live lobsters (Eli did NOT like), and a sampling of Chinese sweeties (the Pokky were a big hit; the dried plums, not so much).

The best part of the whole thing (apart from the 2 boys hugging each other every time they met and saying "you're my best friend") was getting to see Jen.  I've seen her on my trips to Seattle, but our visits have always, of necessity, been rushed, squashed in around other activities.  It was so good to get some unhurried hang time and the chance to know and appreciate her lovely, funny children.

Hope y'all come back soon, and we'll get our slumber party action on, for real.

Joined at the hip and eating cookies
Oh my gosh it was so hot.

Mollie triumphant after her carousel ride

A rocking seat thingy--way more fun than it looks, I promise


A unique field trip organized by Mr. Medhurst

oh my heart--the cuteness

heading back to the car--the only grassy part of the journey


5 comments:

  1. This makes me so happy. What a wonderful benefit to living back in NOVA--new lifelong friends (on top of getting to spend quality time hermana y hermana).

    ReplyDelete
  2. The field trip was so much fun! You captured it perfectly. It was ab fab visiting with you and Nigel and seeing the house, and being able to just let the kids go. And play. And to chat, and eat and just hang, like you said.

    I don't know if y'all know this, but it's hot there. And humid. Sometimes in the summer, like. And bugs. The End.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray for friends with kids! These photos made me very happy because they were filled with the faces of four kids whom I love very much.

    I do believe my favorite is the one of Eli and Barrett. Eli looks like the Godfather -- giving his blessing to someone in "the family"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this post! It does seem so surreal sometimes to see all the kids interacting. Do you think they will do that when they become teenagers? Then we can really tell them stories!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun! Natalie gave me the link to your blog, congrats on the big move!

    ReplyDelete